GO UP
Image Alt

Environment

Environment

The country has abundant natural resources that include beautiful scenery, arable land, forests, surface water, ground water and minerals such as gold, iron, diamonds, chromium, platinum and asbestos. Zimbabwe is home to Victoria Falls, one of the seven natural wonders of the world.

There are 12 national parks in the country. Three of the national parks lie across international boundaries and are part of the Trans-frontier Conservation Areas (TFCAs). These are Hwange National Park in the Kavango Zambezi (KAZA) TFCA; Mana Pools National Park in the mid- Zambezi TFCA; and Gonarezhou National Park in the Greater Limpopo TFCA.

The country relies on surface water resources for 90% of its requirements while groundwater supplies the remaining 10% (ZINWA). There are seven catchments in the country, namely Manyame, Mazowe, Gwayi, Runde, Sanyati, Save and Mzingwane

 

The country has seven sites that have been designated as Ramsar protected Wetlands. These are:

– Victoria Falls National Park

– Mana Pools National Park

– Monavale Wetland

– Lake Chivero and Manyame

– Driefontein Grasslands

– Chinhoyi Caves

– Cleveland Dam